Sari Peltoniemi (b. 1963 in Kauhava) is a writer and Finnish teacher living in Lempäälä.
Peltoniemi has written several books for children and young adults, in all of which an element of fantasy is an integral part of the narrative. Her stories can take place in an original fantasy world (Hirvi [The Elk]), an alternative historical setting (Suomu [The Scale]), or our present reality spiced with fantasy (Kummat [The Strange Ones]).
She has been nominated for the Finlandia Junior Award for her books Hirvi [The Elk] (2001) and Kukka Kaalinen koulutiellä [Kukka Kaalinen Goes to School] (2002). In 2002, Hirvi won the Kuvastaja Award given by the Finnish Tolkien Society.
Peltoniemi’s science fiction and fantasy short stories have been published in the magazines Portti, Spin, and Usva, among others. Many remember her as the singer and songwriter of the Noitalinna huraa! band.
- Löytöretkeilijä Kukka Kaalinen [Kukka Kaalinen, Explorer] (children’s novel), illustrated by Katja Tukiainen. Tammi 2000.
- Hirvi [The Elk](fantasy novel). Tammi 2001.
- Kukka Kaalinen koulutiellä [Kukka Kaalinen Goes to School] (children’s novel), illustrated by Katja Tukiainen. Tammi 2002.
- Kummat [The Strange Ones] (young adult novel). Tammi 2003.
- Kukka Kaalinen pulkassa [Kukka Kaalinen and the Sled] (children’s novel), illustrated by Katja Tukiainen. Tammi 2004.
- Ainakin tuhat laivaa [At Least a Thousand Ships] (short stories). Tammi 2005.
- A short story for the Naurava kummitus [Laughing Ghost] anthology, a cooperative work by all Nordic countries. Tammi 2006.
- Kerppu ja tyttö [Kerppu and the Girl] (children’s novel). Tammi 2007.
- Suomu [The Scale] (young adult novel). Tammi 2008.
- Soita minulle, Kukka Kaalinen [Call Me, Kukka Kaalinen] (children’s novel, illustrated by Katja Tukiainen). Tammi 2008.
Picture: Tammi / Ville Palonen